LAS VEGAS — Peter LaPrairie woke up Sunday morning after a night of cold winds whipped through his sleeping bag near the highway. He walked — maybe a mile — toward D Street, where tents and shopping carts were hemmed along a fence like a snowdrift of forgotten humanity.
Being homeless was not the life he planned. But there were things to be thankful for. Like the warm sun on his face.
And that he had survived the night without being shot.
Like most everyone in the area, he knew a killer was out there. Coldblooded, a police officer had told reporters.
“I’m not very social and like to be on my own,” said LaPrairie, 46, standing outside a used tire shop. “But right now, that’s not an option. I try to find
Harry Hinderliter, president and chief executive of the Las Vegas Rescue Mission, said that even with a killer at-large, his shelter hasn’t seen a bump in homeless seeking refuge. With 320 beds, he said, it’s not at full occupancy.
A “cowardly” madman is targeting homeless people in and around Las Vegas, killing two so far and seriously injuring two more over the last 10 days, officials say.
The gunman, who appears to be a white or Hispanic man standing about 6 feet tall, mostly stalks up to sleeping indigent men before blasting them with a pistol.
“To target homeless, (a) very vulnerable segment of our society, is cowardly,” police Capt. Robert Plummer said.
The spree began in Longdale 50 miles northeast of Sin City just after midnight on Jan. 29, when the killer opened fire on a man standing outside a convenience store, striking the victim once. The target — the only one who was not homeless — suffered non-life-threatening wounds.
Hours later, at 3 a.m., the killer opened fire on a group of homeless men sleeping outside a Longdale mall, killing 51-year-old Brian Clegg.
Las Vegas police are turning to the public for help in capturing a suspected serial killer who police believe shot four people within several days. Two of the victims have died.
According to ABC News, police believe the shootings are random and target the homeless. Three of the victims were not only homeless, but were also sleeping at the time they were shot, Capt. Robert Plummer of the Las Vegas Police said at a Tuesday news conference. He called the man’s actions cowardly, especially for targeting vulnerable people.
“We must stop this man before he shoots and kills someone else,” Plummer said.
The two men who have died have been identified as 68-year-old James Edgar Lewis and 51-year-old Brian Wayne Clegg, reported the New York Daily News. The shooting spree began on January 29, and the first shooting took place at a grocery store parking lot, said police. Though the victim
Las Vegas Metro Police Capt. Robert Plummer discusses the investigation into the recent shootings of homeless men during a news conference at Metro Police headquarters Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018. At top right, is surveillance video of the suspect’s vehicle, a 2016-2018 Tucson Hyundai Sport or Limited model, after a shooting in Logandale.
By Ricardo Torres-Cortez (contact)
Published Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018 | 3:18 p.m.
Updated Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018 | 8:45 p.m.
Police Discuss Shootings of Homeless Men
Launch slideshow »
Metro Police say the same gunman is responsible for fatally shooting two homeless men and wounding two other people in the past nine days.
Three of the four victims were homeless, and the other, who was shot in Logandale, about 60 miles north of Las Vegas, was by himself outside a convenience store when the gunman opened